Home : Vidhya R Menon
- M.Sc, Bioinformatics; 2004-2006 [CGPA: 8.74 / 10].
University of Madras
Dissertation: Marine Antifouling: A Bioinformatics Approach
Dissertations - Addl. i) Sequence Assembler: A Tool for Large Scale Sequencing
ii) Microarray Data Analysis for Identification of Genes Involved in Prostate Cancer
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications; 1999-2001 [75% (Distinction)]
State Board of Technical Education, Govt. of Kerala
Dissertation: Development of Software Program on ‘Polytechnic admission'
- B.Sc, Zoology with Sericulture; 1996-1999 [76.4%], Ranked 4th in University
University of Calicut
- M.Sc, Psychology; 2000-2002 [62%]
University of Madras, Institute of Correspondence Edn.
Dissertation: Influence of Age and Sex on Occupational Stress and Job Involvement
- Bioinformatics Centre, SERC, IISc., Bangalore under Women Scientist Scheme A (WOS-A) of DST
Dec. 2010 onwards
Project Scientist / PI for the project "Study of factors affecting DNA binding properties of Zinc Finger protein structures with C2H2 in focus" under the mentorship of Dr. Debnath Pal.
- SCFBio (Super Comp. Facility for Bioinformatics), IIT Delhi Aug. 2009 - Jan. 2010
Associated in the research under Prof. B. Jayaram
- Dr. D. Y. Patil University, Dept. of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Feb. 2007 - Aug. 2008
Lecturer in Bioinformatics
Teaching Bioinformatics for B.Tech and M.Tech courses
Guidance on Research projects
- Data Software Research Company Pvt. Ltd., Chennai Jan. 2004 - Jul. 2004
IBM Mainframe Faculty
Training professionals of various disciplines of Engg., MCAs etc. in COBOL, JCL, VSAM
- eBITS Computer Education, Palakkad Jan. 2003 - Nov. 2003
Training VB, COBOL, C, C++, ORACLE, MS Office, etc.
- Bharat Sevak Samaj Palakkad Jan. 2001-Nov. 2002
Computer Instructor cum Programmer
Training C, C++, DOS, VB, MS Office application and developing programs and guiding projects
- Little Flower College Palakkad Jul. 2001-Dec. 2001
Computer Instructor cum Programmer
Training in C++ to students at 10+1 level
Operating Systems : SGI, Linux, Windows, DOS
Programming Languages : Perl, C, C++, COBOL, Java, Visual Basic 6.0
Relational DBMS : Oracle 8.3
Web Based Programming : HTML
Bioinformatics Software : Insight II, Gromacs, Argus Lab, Swiss-PDB-Viewer, PASS, Modeller 8, Rasmol, EMBOSS, ClustalW, Discovery Studio and online tools
‘Accelrys Workshop on Docking and Scoring using Discovery Studio' at Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute for Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai in Feb' 08.
‘Certificate Course on Drug Discovery and Development Through Bioinformatics' at AU-KBC Research Centre, MIT campus of Anna university, Chennai - 600 044
Software Tool Development
- M. Vidhya, ‘Statistical Analysis Reveals Genes in Prostate Cancer', Int. J. of Medical Engineering and Informatics, Vol. I, No. 4, 2009, page No. 407-417.
- M. Vidhya, D. Shine, ‘Better Patient Cure Using Medical Informatics - A search for novel cure for diseases in the common man', Int. J. of Biomedical Engineering and Consumer Health Informatics, Vol. 1, No.1, 2008.
- National Symposium on "Emerging trends in Biotechnology", by Dept. of Biotechnology, CUSAT in Dec. 2012, Kerala. Presented a poster: 'Biomacromolecular Regulation : The non-bonded (Protein-DNA) Interactions' [Poster].
- International Symposium on ‘Global Trends in Biomedical Informatics Research, Education and Commercialization' held at Chennai in Jan. 2008: Paper Presented: ‘Seeking Better Patient Cure - A search for Novel Cure for Diseases in Common Man'.
- International Conference on ‘Recent Advances in Marine Antifouling Technology (RAMAT)', held at NIOT, Chennai, in Nov. 2006: Paper presented: ‘G-Protein Coupled Receptor (GPCR) of Balanus amphitrite as Potential Targets for Antifouling Studies Using Molecular Docking Methods'.
SEMINARS / WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
- Workshop on "Proteins: Structure, Function and Folding" at IISc., Bangalore, India, Dec. 20-24, 2010
- Workshop on "Computer Aided Drug Design" at Dr. D.Y. Patil Institute of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, C.B.D Belapur, Navi Mumbai, Oct. 3-6,. 2007
- "National Seminar- Frontiers in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics" at Dr. D.Y. Patil Institute of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, C.B.D Belapur, Navi-Mumbai, Feb. 2-3, 2007
ACADEMIC PROJECTS IN DETAIL
- M.Sc, Bioinformatics:‘Marine Antifouling: A Bioinformatics Approach' carried out under the guidance of Dr. R. Venkatesan (Scientist and Group Head), National Institute of Ocean Technology, Chennai and Dr. S Niranjali Devaraj, Professor and Head of Department, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Madras.
This work was focussed on obtaining a solution to one of the most predominant natural problem, Biofouling caused by Balanus amphitrite. It included molecular modelling of a G-protein coupling receptor and Docking.
- ‘Sequence Assembler: A Tool for Large Scale Sequencing' carried out under the guidance of Dr. Kalaichelvan, Professor, Dept. of Botany, University of Madras. (Additional project work undertaken)
The tool developed using C programming, performs sequence alignment by representing the fragments of biopolymer (as DNA or protein) without trimming or modifying the original fragments.
- ‘Microarray Data Analysis for Identification of Genes Involved in Prostate Cancer' carried out under the guidance of Dr. G. Ramesh Kumar, Member Research Staff, AU-KBC Research Centre, MIT Campus of Anna University, Chennai (Additional project work undertaken).
Data obtained from different tumor samples and normal samples from a microarray data were analyzed and the genes involved in prostate cancer were identified in tumor samples.
- M.Sc, Psychology:‘Influence of Age and Sex on Occupational Stress and Job Involvement' carried out under the guidance of Dr. Devi Balakrishnan, Asst. Prof of Psychology, PSG College of Arts & Science, Coimbatore.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications:
‘Development of Software Program on ‘Polytechnic admission', using Visual Basic 6.0 as front end and Access as database.
Available Since '03/2008